Re: Scheduler accounting inflated for io bound processes.

From: David Ahern
Date: Wed Jun 26 2013 - 12:13:32 EST

On 6/26/13 10:10 AM, Ingo Molnar wrote:
Sampled H/W events have an adaptive period that converges to the desired
sampling rate. The first few samples come in 10 usecs are so apart and
the time period expands to the desired rate. As I recall that adaptive
algorithm starts over every time the event is scheduled in.

Yes, but last I checked it (2 years ago? :-) the auto-freq code was
converging pretty well to the time clock, with little jitter - in essence
turning it into a fixed-period, fixed-frequency sampling method. That
would explain Mike's results.

It does converge quickly and stay there for CPU-based events. My point was more along the lines that the code is there. Perhaps a tweak to add jitter to the period would address fixed period sampling affects.

David