Re: cgroup: status-quo and userland efforts

From: Mike Galbraith
Date: Fri Jun 28 2013 - 02:00:27 EST

On Thu, 2013-06-27 at 22:01 -0700, Tejun Heo wrote:

> Anyways, if you're root, you can keep doing whatever you want. You
> could be stepping on the centralized agent's toes a bit and vice-versa

Keep on truckn' sounds good, that vice-versa toe stomping not so good,
but yeah, until systemd or ilk grows the ability to shut me down, I
shouldn't feel any burning need to introduce it to my machete.

> but I don't think that's gonna be disastrous. What I'm trying to
> stamp out is direct usages from !root domains and !system-management
> binaries / scripts. They absolutely have to go. There's no question
> about it and I'll take totalitarian userland agent anyday over the
> current mess.

I get some of the why.. and yeah, it's the dirt simple usage that I care
about most, not the big hairy problem cases you're trying to address.

> Eventually, I think we'll be able to reach an equilibrium where most
> things are reasonable and we'll be exploring the acceptable limits of
> flexibility again, but right now, please bear with the brutality.
> We're way over the line and I can't see a way back which isn't gonna
> sting a bit. I'm and will keep trying to make it as painless as
> possible.

Keep on driving, and thanks for listening. Aaaooooo ;-)

-Mike