Re: Build regressions/improvements in v3.10

From: Geert Uytterhoeven
Date: Tue Jul 02 2013 - 17:29:54 EST

On Tue, Jul 2, 2013 at 8:34 PM, Bjorn Helgaas <bhelgaas@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> + warning: vmlinux.o(.text+0x1ad7a4): Section mismatch in reference from the function pwmchip_add() to the function .init.text:pcibios_fixup_bus(): => N/A
>> + warning: vmlinux.o(.text+0x1b18d8): Section mismatch in reference from the function pci_scan_child_bus() to the function .init.text:pcibios_fixup_bus(): => N/A
>
> I understand the second warning, but not the first (reference from
> pwmchip_add() to pcibios_fixup_bus()). I don't think pwmchip_add()
> calls pcibios_fixup_bus(). Is the pwmchip_chip() function name
> inexact, or is there some other problem here?

Indeed, that's weird.

This happened with xtensa-allmodconfig.
I compiled my own xtensa-allmodconfig kernel, and it happens there, too.

If I'm not mistaken, the hex address between parentheses should match
the "from" function, right?
After disassembly ("xtensa-linux-objdump -D vmlinux"), the addresses
didn't seem to match the function names at all.
So it may be an issue with the toolchain?

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

Geert

-- Linus Torvalds