Re: [GIT PULL] ext4 updates for 3.11

From: Dave Chinner
Date: Wed Jul 03 2013 - 19:55:16 EST

On Wed, Jul 03, 2013 at 06:40:40PM +0000, Dilger, Andreas wrote:
> On 2013/03/07 12:12 PM, "Greg KH" <greg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >>
> >> Didn't we learn this lesson already with POHMELFS? i.e. that
> >> dumping filesystem code in staging on the assumption "the
> >> community" will fix it up when nobody in "the community" uses
> >> or can even test that filesystem is a broken development
> >> model....
> >
> >They (Intel) has said that they will continue to clean up this
> >code in the tree, until it is in good enough shape to be merged
> >into fs/ properly. If they ever stop helping out, I will end up
> >dropping it from the tree, just like I did for pohmelfs, so don't
> >worry about it lingering around abandoned.
>
> Right, we are going to continue working on cleaning the code at a
> steady pace until it is ready to move to fs/. I don't expect Al
> or Dave or Christoph to spend their time (or make their eyes
> bleed) with the current state of the code. It has already
> undergone some significant cleanup, but needs a bunch more still.

The issue I'm more concerned about is more to do with what happens
when we do something that affects all filesystems, such as API
changes. Then we are forced to look at it and to try to work out
what the hell is going on. This was the real problem with pomelhfs
being in staging - it had an unreasonably high maintenance overhead
compared to other filesystems.

This was mainly because pohelmfs was effectively dumped in staging
and then left unmaintained - if there's consistent effort put into
the Lustre code to clean it up, maintain it and help with API
transitions, then I have nothing to object to and I'll just crawl
back into my box. ;)

Cheers,

Dave.
--