Re: Rebased for_next branch in my linux-fs git tree

From: Stephen Rothwell
Date: Thu Jul 04 2013 - 20:04:53 EST

Hi Jan,

On Thu, 4 Jul 2013 19:43:04 +0200 Jan Kara <jack@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'm just writing this to let you know that I had to rebase for_next
^^^
wrong choice of work, you "chose" to rebase. :-)

> branch in my linux-fs git tree because I've messed up my tree and for_linus
> & for_next branches contained the same patches but with different commit
> IDs (fast track fixes). When I pulled for_next into for_linus branch,
> the changelog had commit logs for those patches twice which was rather
> confusing. The only solution I found was to rebase for_next on top of
> for_linus to get rid of the duplicate patches. If there's a cleaner
> solution of the situation, I'm happy to learn it for future...

Just leave it. Linus and I know how to cope with those (maybe explain to
Linus what happened). In the future, if you put fixes in your for_linus
branch and *need* those fixes in your for_next branch, then merge your
for_linus branch into your for_next branch instead of cherry-picking the
patches.

--
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell sfr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx