Re: [ 00/19] 3.10.1-stable review

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Sun Jul 14 2013 - 21:40:25 EST

On Sun, Jul 14, 2013 at 4:52 PM, Benjamin Herrenschmidt
<benh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> So if I read this (and stable_kernel_rules.txt) correctly, that means that
> for example, let's say, we find in RHEL66 or SLES42 (possibly following
> a user report), for example, that PCI hotplug is broken with some category
> of devices on some machines.
>
> We do a fix, it's roughtly 4 or 5 lines, pretty self contained. We get it
> into the distro.
>
> That still doesn't qualify for stable right ?

Not before it's been in the distro, no. Something like a PCI change
*definitely* should never be marked for stable, unless it causes
crashes or is a _new_ regression that causes dead machines.

Because the likelihood that that 4-5 line "obvious" change breaks
things is pretty high. It needs testing elsewhere - on the machines
that weren't broken - in a big way first.

And don't bother talking about "obvious fix". Especially not when it
comes to the PCI code.

Linus