Re: [Ksummit-2013-discuss] KS Topic request: Handling the Stablekernel, let's dump the cc: stable tag

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Mon Jul 15 2013 - 20:14:28 EST

On 07/15/2013 04:22 PM, Guenter Roeck wrote:

> I agree, _should_. But again, that is not the point I was trying to make.
> The keyword is _active_ decision vs. passive acceptance of a stable tag.
>
> If the stable tag is not added by the maintainer, it can always be added to
> the stable queue after the code was pushed upstream. Nothing lost but a bit
> of convenience.

... and yet another opportunity for things to fall between the cracks,
which is in my opinion MUCH more likely than something inappropriate
being tagged Cc: stable.

However, it doesn't seem to happen too often, but it does underscore the
need for a maintainer to be able to *retroactively* NAK a patch for
stable, if it is uncovered that it isn't appropriate after all.

-hpa