Re: [ATTEND] How to act on LKML (was: [ 00/19] 3.10.1-stable review)

From: Olivier Galibert
Date: Tue Jul 16 2013 - 05:28:45 EST

On Tue, Jul 16, 2013 at 9:32 AM, David Lang <david@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Jul 2013, Sarah Sharp wrote:
>
>> The people who want to work together in a civil manner should get
>> together and create a "Kernel maintainer's code of conduct" that
>> outlines what they expect from fellow kernel developers. The people who
>> want to continue acting "unprofessionally" should document what
>> behaviors set off their cursing streaks, so that others can avoid that
>> behavior. Somewhere in the middle is the community behavior all
>> developers can thrive in.
>

> By defining your viewpoint as being "professional" and the other viewpoint
> as being "unprofessional" you have already started using very loaded terms
> and greatly reduces the probability of actually getting the other group to
> agree and participate.

Especially since you can very easily translate these terms into
"American" and "non-American".

The stereotypical american professionalism attitude is to be polite at
the word choice level the best to hide a profund disrespect under
them. There's no meaning taken into account, it's just keyword
spotting. "Your code is crap" is considered unprofessional, while
"Let's leverage my fifth grade nephew's capabilities to assist you in
fixing the code" is perfectly professional, somehow. That's more
often than not an unacceptable attitude in europe.

OG.