Re: [ 00/19] 3.10.1-stable review

From: Alex Elder
Date: Tue Jul 16 2013 - 10:45:25 EST

On 07/15/2013 02:07 PM, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> But when people who know better send me crap, I'll curse at them.
>
> I suspect you'll notice me cursing *way* more at top developers than
> random people on the list. I expect more from them, and conversely
> I'll be a lot more upset when they do something that I really think
> was not great.

I have always found this to be the case.

Linus has high expectations, and I think the quality of
Linux code speaks volumes about the long-term effect of
that. Blistering messages from Linus are directed at
people who have an established reputation, but who
present something less than high-caliber work.

Our communication is very open and public though. Those
with some experience in the community should know that
these strongly-worded messages are not sent indiscriminately.
This isn't obvious to a newcomer though. A stranger may
not realize that the shouting is among friends who care a lot
about what they're doing.

If the conversation weren't so public it may not seem
as inappropriate. The shaming and flaming style is
effective for keeping top people in line. But it does
needlessly intimidate new people in the process.

-Alex