Re: [Ksummit-2013-discuss] [ATTEND] How to act on LKML

From: Felipe Contreras
Date: Wed Jul 17 2013 - 14:05:33 EST

On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 12:56 PM, Stefano Stabellini
<stefano.stabellini@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Jul 2013, Felipe Contreras wrote:
>> On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 12:00 PM, Stefano Stabellini
>> <stefano.stabellini@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> >
>> > Can we stop bringing the quality of the code into the discussion?
>>
>> Can you please stop calling open communication abuse?
>
> Open communication is one thing, abuse is another, so I agree with you
> there.

You call it abuse, others don't.

>> First you have
>> to explain *why* it was improper in order to call it abuse, and in the
>> few examples that have been shown, it has been explained that the
>> behavior was justified (breaking the #1 rule by a lieutenant who
>> should know better).
>
> Abuse is never justified, I hope that's clear for everybody.
> Two wrongs don't make a right.
>
> So we are down to the definition of verbal abuse.
> The Oxford dictionary gives me:
>
> "speak to (someone) in an insulting and offensive way"

Here's another definition from Merriam Webster:

* language that condemns or vilifies usually unjustly, intemperately,
and angrily

That definition fits my idea of abuse. Linus was not unjust, so it's not abuse.

> For example I think that calling somebody a moron qualifies.

I don't, specially if the person is indeed being a moron.

>> > I think it's pretty clear that one doesn't need to be verbally abusive
>> > in order to stop bad code from getting into the kernel.
>>
>> You can think whatever you want, others have already shown that
>> changing the tone of the message in the examples would have changed
>> the desired effect.
>
> I disagree and it is certainly not the case in my experience.

Suit yourself.

If want you wanted was to voice your opinion, I think you have already
done that.

--
Felipe Contreras