Re: [Ksummit-2013-discuss] [ATTEND] How to act on LKML

From: Sarah Sharp
Date: Wed Jul 17 2013 - 18:24:25 EST

On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 07:42:44PM +0100, Al Viro wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 06:56:16PM +0100, Stefano Stabellini wrote:
>
> > Abuse is never justified, I hope that's clear for everybody.
>
> Depends on details of your definition of abuse.
>
> > So we are down to the definition of verbal abuse.
> > The Oxford dictionary gives me:
> >
> > "speak to (someone) in an insulting and offensive way"
>
> Insufficient details to tell if the statement above is correct.
> Insulting and offensive to *whom*?

It's not helpful to look at a dictionary definition of verbal abuse,
because it's much too short.

Here's a much longer description of verbally abusive behaviors:

http://outofthefog.net/CommonBehaviors/VerbalAbuse.html

Key ones that apply to LKML communications: belittlement, demeaning
statements, hysteria, name-calling, raging and violent statements, and
mocking sarcasm.

Sarah Sharp