Re: splice vs execve lockdep trace.

From: Dave Chinner
Date: Thu Jul 18 2013 - 18:49:18 EST

On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 05:21:17PM -0500, Ben Myers wrote:
> Dave,
>
> On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 04:16:32PM -0500, Ben Myers wrote:

> > > No. __xfs_get_blocks() operates on metadata (e.g. extent lists), and
> > > as such is protected by the i_ilock (note: not the i_iolock). i.e.
> > > XFS has a multi-level locking strategy:
> > >
> > > i_iolock is provided for *data IO serialisation*,
> > > i_ilock is for *inode metadata serialisation*.
> >
> > I think if __xfs_get_blocks has some way of knowing it is the mmap/page fault
> > path, taking the iolock shared in addition to the ilock (in just that case)
> > would prevent the mmap from being able to read stale data from disk. You would
> > see either the data before the punch or you would see the hole.
> >
> > Actually... I think that is wrong: You'd have to take the iolock across the
> > read itself (not just the access to the block map) for it to have the desired
> > effect:
> >
> > 1608 int filemap_fault(struct vm_area_struct *vma, struct vm_fault *vmf)
> > 1704 page_not_uptodate:
> > 1705 /*
> > 1706 * Umm, take care of errors if the page isn't up-to-date.
> > 1707 * Try to re-read it _once_. We do this synchronously,
> > 1708 * because there really aren't any performance issues here
> > 1709 * and we need to check for errors.
> > 1710 */
> > 1711 ClearPageError(page);
> > 1712 error = mapping->a_ops->readpage(file, page);
> > 1713 if (!error) {
> > 1714 wait_on_page_locked(page);
> > 1715 if (!PageUptodate(page))
> > 1716 error = -EIO;
> > 1717 }
> > 1718 page_cache_release(page);
> >
> > Wouldn't you have to hold the iolock until after wait_on_page_locked returns?
>
> Maybe like so (crappy/untested/probably wrong/fodder for ridicule/etc):

Try running it with lockdep. You'll see pretty quickly why you can't
take the i_iolock or i_mutex in the ->fault path - it is called
with the mmap_sem held.

The lock inversion that can deadlock is that the page fault might be
occurring in the read path that is already holding the
i_mutex/i_iolock....

Cheers,

Dave.

--