Re: KS Topic request: Handling the Stable kernel, let's dump thecc: stable tag

From: Rob Landley
Date: Sun Jul 21 2013 - 11:07:08 EST

On 07/15/2013 02:27:56 PM, James Bottomley wrote:
Before the "3.10.1-stable review" thread degenerated into a disagreement
about habits of politeness, there were some solid points being made
which, I think, bear consideration and which may now be lost.

The problem, as JiÅÃ Kosina put is succinctly is that the distributions
are finding stable less useful because it contains to much stuff they'd
classify as not stable material.

Does anybody actually review hundred-patch dumps for stable stuff? I don't. Any regression fixes or security fixes are buried in 90% chaff. "Could be improved" is why you upgrade to new versions, yet "random improvements that we don't think will break anything' is the vast majority of stable.

Bar's a bit low for my tastes. Oh well.

Rob--