Re: [Ksummit-2013-discuss] [ATTEND] How to act on LKML

From: Li Zefan
Date: Mon Jul 22 2013 - 22:04:54 EST

On 2013/7/23 9:39, Steven Rostedt wrote:
> On Tue, 2013-07-23 at 09:26 +0800, Li Zefan wrote:
>
>> IT companies in China, they try to make sure there's at least one (most the
>> time the result is just one) female developer/tester in a team, and a team
>> is ~10 people. Even if it's a kernel team, but it's harder to meet.
>>
>> Don't know if the same strategy is applied in other countries.
>
> Just my observation, but it seems that I see more women in tech from the
> Asian countries than from the US.
>
> Watching my two teenage daughters grow up here as well as their friends,
> the focus of our schools still seem more bent on being good in sports
> than in academics, and even worse for science. Sports for girls happen
> to be much more serious than when I was in school. Being a "nerd" for a
> boy is starting to get a bit more acceptance (see Big Bang Theory), but
> for girls they seem a bit more harsh. At least from what I can tell by
> watching how things are with my kids and their friends. One of the
> friends of my daughter, who does very well in school, hides her grades
> and "pretends" to be stupid. This is really a sad state of affairs if
> you ask me :-(

In china we are in the opposite. In college girls like to stay in school
library to study, and in general they get better scores than boys, and
they don't like sports. But being good in study is not the same as being
good at programming, and in fact they are not keen in coding!

And I think IT companies in China tend to lower their requirements when
the job interviewee is a female.