Re: The future of DT binding maintainership

From: David Lang
Date: Thu Jul 25 2013 - 03:47:57 EST

On Wed, 24 Jul 2013, Grant Likely wrote:

I wouldn't get to hung up about trying to reuse the same file format as
the .dts files. Most of the bindings are going to be very flat in
nature, and schemas need to be expresive in a different way from the
.dts files themselves.

We'll want to have an easy way to define trivial bindings. There are a
lot of devices that only define a new 'compatible' string, but they
don't actually require anything more than reg and interrupts. Can we
maybe have a schema file that lists trivial bindings?

It sounds like a log of the bindings will really consist of something similar to "take this other binding definition and change these values"

I think that figuring out a good way to handle this (and make sure that when people change one binding, they can know what other bindings they are changing through the dependancies) is at least as important as figuring out the formal schemas and multiple inheritance issues.

David Lang