Re: [Ksummit-2013-discuss] [ATTEND] How to act on LKML

From: Willy Tarreau
Date: Thu Jul 25 2013 - 19:30:32 EST

On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 10:51:21PM +0000, Daniel Phillips wrote:
> On 07/25/2013 02:34 PM, Willy Tarreau wrote:
> > Guys, could we please stop this endless boring thread ?
>
> Willy, I believe we are on the same side of the civility debate, but I
> somehow got the feeling that you just characterized my comment re "open
> and honest" as "endless and boring".
>
> I agree that the attempt to divert the intent of my comment into a
> farcical debate on debating was not worth the internet bytes it was
> printed on. In fact, that nicely demonstrates one class of technique
> commonly used on lkml to silence criticism, and is worth studying from
> that viewpoint. That sort of diverting should end, particularly in
> regards to the topic at hand.

Daniel, the thread has long diverted and has become a philosophical
debate. I'm still in CC since almost the beginning because I dared to
respond to the *original* discussion (on the subject of how to better
tag commits for stable), conscious of the risk I was taking. I've long
stopped reading this and am still getting these e-mails which remind
me some old tv shows I could occasionally discover when I was a kid,
with old daddies with long hair discussing whether writing with a hand
in the pocket is better for health than brushing your hair with a
plastic brush or not...

So I have no problem stating it here : no, this thread doesn't interest
me anymore. Only the few first exchanges did (those on the workflow of
commits).

I could humbly ask to be removed from the CC list, but since -stable
is CCed as well I'll still receive these discussions in my mailbox. And
given that I'm not the only one to find this one boring, I believe it
is not a selfish request from me to kindly ask this thing to stop. After
all, 2 or 3 persons sending off-topic e-mails to 10, 20, or even 50k
subscribers on a development list might look inadequate to some readers.

Thus, I think it would be *polite* from people who entertain this thread
while smoking I-don't-know-what, to agree that there will always be some
areas where they disagree, that they shake their respective hands and
silently quit the scene so that we can turn off the lights and all go to
bed.

Thanks for your understanding,
Willy