Re: targetcli -fb now also Apache 2.0 licensed

From: Andy Grover
Date: Thu Jul 25 2013 - 23:32:26 EST

On 07/24/2013 06:19 PM, Nicholas A. Bellinger wrote:
Because -fb has had close to zero peer review, and you've not solicited
much input (none from us) before making significant changes to
rtslib/targetcli over the past 1 1/2 years.

For your own private tree this wouldn't matter. However, for a single
upstream tree moving forward, it seems irresponsible to just ask us to
sign off on every decision that you've made in -fb with little external
review or input.

So, to help us get back to a community development model, please cut a
-fb branch against upstream rtslib/configshell/targetcli, and start
sending the series out for public review.

Hi Nick,

It's one thing to claim a prerogative of "upstream", but for this to make sense, there needs to be an actual community around the upstream. And if there's going to be submissions for review, then there needs to be someone in charge of the community with a high degree of skill in the code base. Nick you have a great deal of technical expertise around the C code in drivers/target, but Jerome was the one who wrote rtslib, targetcli, and configshell. I believe you can assess the technical aspects of how the user library interacts with the kernel code, but the maintainer should also be extremely conversant in the language the library is written in. In this case, Python. So it's not clear to me if submitting the code would actually result in meaningful code improvements.

Also, there has been no effort to sustain a community around this code. There is no bug tracking, no separate mailing list, no regular releases. Debian is running ancient, broken code because nothing's been tagged in over two years.

I would love to have you maintain and improve this code, but if you aren't then you can't just say "I'm the upstream bow to me!". We're shipping this code in Fedora and it needs active maintenance. Now that we're all on an even licensing footing, code can flow both ways, and even into your commercial version.

So, if you get a Pythonista to maintain upstream, and actually work to build a community around it, then I will play ball. But I must ask you, do you *really* want to maintain this? Forever? In a private thread a while back, RTS CEO Marc said your company's value-add was in different areas now. It might actually be easier for you to hire a Python person to reconcile targetcli-fb with your commercial needs, and then just track it. The objection I have with what you're asking me is that it feels like you're trying to get me to do that reconciliation work for you for free as a condition of being "upstream", and I'm not willing to do work that benefits only your company and not the community at large.

Regards -- Andy