Re: [Ksummit-2013-discuss] DT bindings as ABI [was: Do we havepeople interested in device tree janitoring / cleanup?]

From: Richard Cochran
Date: Mon Jul 29 2013 - 14:39:21 EST

On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 09:31:23AM +0200, Maxime Ripard wrote:

> I'm afraid this kind of use case will never be properly supported, DT
> stable ABI or not.
>
> Think about this: what kernel will actually be shipped in that board?
> Most likely, it will be a BSP kernel from the vendor. Does the vendor
> will have made that commitment to have a stable ABI for the DT? Will it
> use the same bindings than mainline? Do we want to support all the crazy
> bindings every vendor will come up with?
>
> I'm afraid the answer to these three questions will most of the time be
> "no.".

Yes, I know, and it is sad but true.

We can't stop the vendors from shipping half-baked BSPs. I really
don't mind that they do that. After all, they want to get *something*
working when they launch their chips.

> That doesn't mean we shouldn't aim for *mainline* having a stable DT
> ABI, but that kind of use case doesn't seem very realistic to me.

Right, we can and should do better. I got the beaglebone Ethernet
working in mainline (not by writing the driver, but by complaining
over and over again). I except that it will continue to work and not
fall victim to some random DT change.

Thanks,
Richard