Re: [SCSI REGRESSION] 3.10.2 or 3.10.3: arcmsr failure at bootup / early userspace transition

From: Martin K. Petersen
Date: Tue Jul 30 2013 - 23:11:08 EST

>>>>> "Doug" == Douglas Gilbert <dgilbert@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

Doug> I just examined a more recent Areca SAS RAID controller and would
Doug> describe it as the SCSI device from hell. One solution to this
Doug> problem is to modify the arcmsr driver so it returns a more
Doug> consistent set of lies to the management SCSI commands that Martin
Doug> is asking about.

Yeah. This is quite the challenge given that the product id is
user-specified and product revision hardcoded. I can match on "Areca" in
the vendor id and that's about it :(

My current approach is to tweak the driver so that I can set
skip_vpd_pages for the ATA models. Under the assumption that the SAS
controllers actually feature the ATA Information VPD...

--
Martin K. Petersen Oracle Linux Engineering