Re: [Ksummit-2013-discuss] [ATTEND] DT, maintainership, development process

From: Geert Uytterhoeven
Date: Thu Aug 01 2013 - 06:16:45 EST

On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 12:09 AM, Rafael J. Wysocki <rjw@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> A single SOB tag usually means that the committer himself is the author of
> the change set and I don't see why this should be regarded as a bad thing in
> principle. Yes, it is technically possible for maintainers to "cheat", for
> example by making unreviewed changes and pushing them upstream with their
> own SOBs even without any linux-next testing, but they can do damage in some
> other ways too if they are irresponsible.
>
> We generally don't record information about what mailing lists the given patch
> was submitted and how much time the maintainer waited for comments before
> applying that patch. I suppose we possibly could record it, but then I'm not
> sure how useful that will be in general. It definitely would mean more work
> for maintainers and it's not like they don't have enough of that already.
> Moreover, perhaps we can simply expect maintainers not to abuse the process?
>
> I guess my point is that the fact that there are commits with one SOB tag only
> doesn't have to mean that we have a problem of any sort and it even doesn't
> have to indicate the existence of such a problem.
>
> Commits that have never been in linux-next are much more problematic in my
> opinion.

And we still have (too many of) them...

Once in a while, I do find suspicious commits that
(a) weren't in -next,
(b) weren't in my email archive (not unreasonable, as I'm not
subscribed to all
Linux mailing lists ;-),
(c) are not to be found by Google, which means they may not have been
posted for public review at all (are there Linux mailing lists that do not
have a web archive?).

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

Geert

-- Linus Torvalds