Re: [ 00/17] 3.0.84-stable review

From: Guenter Roeck
Date: Thu Aug 01 2013 - 11:08:57 EST

On 08/01/2013 07:35 AM, Greg Ungerer wrote:
Hi Guenter,

Sorry, I am way behind on this...

No problem. Happens to me too.

and so on. Not that it tells me anything. I'd guess I have the wrong compiler, but it does
build for 3.9, so maybe not. If you have an insight, please let me know.

Yes, this is the wrong compiler. You needed to use a m68k-uclinux
targeted toolchain for 3.0 and older kernels. There are changes to
the m68k arch Makefile and linker scripts on newer kernels that mean
you can now use an m68k-linux- toolchain (that is why 3.9 compiles
cleanly).

Its reasonably easy to fix this on 3.0.x kernels if you want this.
The below patch does it. I don't have any firm opinion on whether
you want to apply this to the stable 3.0.x tree. Anyone using 3.0.x
on m68knommu has always had to use a m68k-uclinux- toolchain up to
now.

I don't think so. Of course, it would simplify my life, but then it appears
everyone using any of those kernels already knows what to do. So all the patch
really does is to make my life easier, at the cost of adding risk for everyone else.
That does not seem to be worth the trouble.

I'll see if I can update my scripts to use the correct compiler for 3.0 instead.

Thanks,
Guenter