Re: Linux 3.11-rc4

From: Oleg Nesterov
Date: Mon Aug 05 2013 - 13:17:13 EST

On 08/05, Felipe Contreras wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 5, 2013 at 9:39 AM, Oleg Nesterov <oleg@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Hmm. It should not crash under strace... please see below.
> >
> >> 953 ptrace(PTRACE_ATTACH, 1035, 0, 0) = -1 EPERM (Operation not permitted)
> >
> > OK, so it actually uses ptrace ;)
> >
> > PTRACE_ATTACH fails because this child is already traced by strace, I guess.
> >
> > So does Starcraft crash this way? Or does it fail in some other way?
>
> It's crashing just the same.

But then it is not clear how fab840f can make any difference.

wine can not use ptrace when it runs after "strace -f". But, to remind,
I know nothing about wine. Perhaps wine uses some daemons which actually
run/ptrace the workload?

> > And just in case... perhaps wine does some logging too?
>
> Yeah, but there doesn't seem to be anything interesting:
>
> http://bugs.winehq.org/attachment.cgi?id=45489

at least there is certainly nothing interesting for me since
I don't understand this ;) Thanks.

Oleg.