Re: acpi_bus_trim does not detach devices in post order

From: Rafael J. Wysocki
Date: Tue Aug 06 2013 - 20:47:13 EST

On Wednesday, August 07, 2013 09:35:51 AM Yasuaki Ishimatsu wrote:
> (2013/08/06 23:26), Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:

> >> I had little mistake. CPU also tries to clear NUMA node.
> >> But current implementation has bug. So I'll fix it.
> >

> > Do I understand correctly that with your fix at
> >
> > https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/2839298/
> >
> > the current acpi_bus_trim() implementation will be sufficient?
>
> No. The patch just fixed implementation of CPU hotplug.

My question was not sufficiently precise. :-)

I wanted to ask if your patch was sufficient to address the specific breakage
you were seeing without modifying acpi_bus_trim().

> A problem I think is that acpi_bus_trim() does not detach devices in
> post-order.

That is not exactly post-order, but children are guaranteed to be processed
before their parents. If that guarantee is sufficient, there's no problem.
Otherwise, acpi_bus_trim() may need to be modified, but first I'd like to
see a real life example where that really matters.

> And my patch does not fix it. So if some device has dependency
> of other device, similar problem will occur.

If there is a dependency that is not a parent-child one, we'll have a problem,
but in that case relying on ordering will not be robust enough anyway in my
opinion.

Thanks,
Rafael

--
I speak only for myself.
Rafael J. Wysocki, Intel Open Source Technology Center.