Re: linux-next: Tree for Aug 7

From: David Miller
Date: Wed Aug 07 2013 - 13:42:10 EST

From: Eric Dumazet <eric.dumazet@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 07 Aug 2013 09:40:09 -0700

> On Wed, 2013-08-07 at 18:22 +0200, Johannes Berg wrote:
>
>> Maybe. I haven't tested it, but I'm thinking that skb->data doesn't
>> point to the start of the data frame in this case, since we now call
>> eth_type_trans() which pulls the ethernet header. So if the device just
>> transmits skb->len starting from skb->data, it'll be wrong, no? That
>> seems a basic assumption though.
>
> Yes, it seems calling eth_type_trans() is not right here, and even could
> crash.
>
> Sorry, for being vague, I am a bit busy this morning.

Yes, this is absolutely the core problem, you absolute cannot
call eth_type_trans() on the output path, it pulls off the
ethernet header from the packet. That can't possibly work.

I want a real fix submitted formally for this problem immediately,
or else I'm reverting all of these changes this afternoon.

Thanks.