Re: Cannot hot remove a memory device

From: Rafael J. Wysocki
Date: Thu Aug 08 2013 - 19:03:51 EST

On Thursday, August 08, 2013 04:50:42 PM Toshi Kani wrote:
> On Fri, 2013-08-09 at 00:12 +0200, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
> > > :

> > > FYI: I have submitted the patch blow to close this part of the issue...
> > >
> > > https://lkml.org/lkml/2013/8/8/396
> >
> > That looks good to me, but we'd still need to make it possible to have
> > memory blocks smaller than 128 MB ...
>
> Do you mean acpi_bind_one() needs to be able to handle such case? If
> so, it should not be a problem since a memory block device won't be
> created when add_memory() fails with the change above. So, there is no
> binding to be done. If you mean add_memory() needs to be able to handle
> a smaller range, that's quite a tough one unless we make the section
> size smaller.
>
> BTW, when add_memory() fails, the memory hot-add request still succeeds
> with no driver attached. This seems logical, but the added device is
> useless when no handler is attached. And it does not allow ejecting the
> device with no handler. I am not too worry about this since this is a
> rare case, but it reminded me that the framework won't handle rollback.

That is a valid observation.

Perhaps we should add a flag that will cause acpi_bus_offline_companions()
to fail immediately if that flag is set for the given device?

Then, acpi_memory_enable_device() could set that flag for mem_device->device
when either add_memory() or acpi_bind_memory_blocks() fails?

Rafael