Re: [GIT PULL] DT/core: cpu_ofnode updates for v3.12

From: Sudeep KarkadaNagesha
Date: Wed Aug 14 2013 - 09:28:03 EST

On 14/08/13 13:53, Rob Herring wrote:
> [...]
>> I would prefer to move to generic of_get_cpu_node where ever possible
>> and rename the function that takes thread id rather than making generic
>> one weak.
>>

>>> - powerpc keeps its own implementation
>> How about only in cases where it needs thread_id.
>>

>>> - Start a discussion on the bindings (if not already there) to define threads
>>> in a better way at which point the generic function can be updated.
>>>
>> I am not sure if we need to define any new bindings. Excerpts from ePAPR
>> (v1.1):
>> "3.7.1 General Properties of CPU nodes
>> The value of "reg" is a <prop-encoded-array> that defines a unique
>> CPU/thread id for the CPU/threads represented by the CPU node.
>> If a CPU supports more than one thread (i.e. multiple streams of
>> execution) the reg property is an array with 1 element per thread. The
>> #address-cells on the /cpus node specifies how many cells each element
>> of the array takes. Software can determine the number of threads by
>> dividing the size of reg by the parent node's #address-cells."
>>
>> And this is exactly in agreement to what's implemented in the generic
>> of_get_cpu_node:
>>
>> for_each_child_of_node(cpus, cpun) {
>> if (of_node_cmp(cpun->type, "cpu"))
>> continue;
>> cell = of_get_property(cpun, "reg", &prop_len);
>> if (!cell) {
>> pr_warn("%s: missing reg property\n", cpun->full_name);
>> continue;
>> }
>> prop_len /= sizeof(*cell);
>> while (prop_len) {
>> hwid = of_read_number(cell, ac);
>> prop_len -= ac;
>> if (arch_match_cpu_phys_id(cpu, hwid))
>> return cpun;
>> }
>> }
>
> How about something like this:
>
> for_each_child_of_node(cpus, cpun) {
> if (of_node_cmp(cpun->type, "cpu"))
> continue;
>
> if (arch_of_get_cpu_node(cpun, thread))
> return cpun;
>
> cell = of_get_property(cpun, "reg", &prop_len);
> if (!cell) {
> pr_warn("%s: missing reg property\n", cpun->full_name);
> continue;
> }
> prop_len /= sizeof(*cell);
> while (prop_len) {
> hwid = of_read_number(cell, ac);
> prop_len -= ac;
> if (arch_match_cpu_phys_id(cpu, hwid))
> return cpun;
> }
> }
>
> For PPC:
>
> arch_of_get_cpu_node()
> {
> const u32 *intserv;
> unsigned int plen, t;
>
> /* Check for ibm,ppc-interrupt-server#s. */
> intserv = of_get_property(np, "ibm,ppc-interrupt-server#s",
> &plen);
> if (!intserv)
> return false;
>
> hardid = get_hard_smp_processor_id(cpu);

Sorry responded to earlier mail before seeing this. This approach looks
good, but we still need to have thread id as argument which should be fine.

But as per my understanding on how logical cpu<->hard proccessor id is
setup, the thread_id is implicit in the logical cpu id making it
unnecessary to depend on DT each time.

Regards,
Sudeep