Re: nouveau: temperature on nv40 is unavailable since ad40d73ef533ab0ad16b4a1ab2f7870c1f8ab954

From: Martin Peres
Date: Thu Aug 15 2013 - 18:21:44 EST

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.On 15/08/2013 03:24, Pali RohÃr wrote:
On Thursday 15 August 2013 04:07:24 Martin Peres wrote:
On 14/08/2013 05:02, Pali RohÃr wrote:
On Tuesday 13 August 2013 15:55:28 Martin Peres wrote:
On 13/08/2013 09:53, Pali RohÃr wrote:
On utorok, 13. augusta 2013 15:32:45 CEST, Martin Peres
wrote:
On 13/08/2013 09:23, Pali RohÃr wrote:
On Tuesday 13 August 2013 09:01:19 Martin Peres wrote:

You can check the temperature by running nvidia-settings.
If you can't see the temperature in it, then nvidia
doesn't support it on your card and
I'm not sure we should :s

Thanks for the vbios you sent me in private. For the
others, the reason why he doesn't have temperature
anymore is because his vbios lacks sensor calibration
values.
In nvidia-settings tab "GPU 0 - (GeForce 6600 GT)" -->
"Thermal Settings" is:

Thermal Sensor Information:
ID: 0
Target: GPU
Provider: GPU Internal
Temperature: 70 C (now)

I looked in Windows program SpeedFan. It found Nvidia PCI
card and reported "GPU Temp" about 68-70 C. So it looks
like both nvidia driver and windows SpeedFan program
reading same values.
Great, I'll cook you a patch in a bit and you'll see what
the temperature is like. It won't be perfectly accurate
but there is some kind of default for nvidia cards of this
generation.
Ok, send me patch and I can try it if it will work and
report similar values as windows or nvidia driver.
Sorry for the late answer.

Please test this patch. Be aware that temperature with nouveau
will be higher than with the blob.
I only want to see if nouveau reports a temperature.

The only way to be sure if the values are good-enough would be
to use the blob and run:
nvapeek 0x15b0
Please send me the result along with the temperature reported
by nvidia at the time of the peek.

Martin

PS: This patch has only be compile-tested, I don't have access
to an nv4x right now.
Hello,

now after patch nouveau report temperature:

$ sensors
nouveau-pci-0500
Adapter: PCI adapter
temp1: +63.0ÂC (high = +95.0ÂC, hyst = +3.0ÂC)
(crit = +145.0ÂC, hyst = +2.0ÂC)
(emerg = +135.0ÂC, hyst = +5.0ÂC)

Ok, that was expected ;)

I found that nvidia binary driver has command line utility
nvidia-smi which report same temperature as X utility nvidia-
settings. So I will use nvidia-smi (if it is OK).

And after reboot nvidia report another temperature value:

$ nvidia-smi -q -d TEMPERATURE
GPU 0000:05:00.0
Temperature
Gpu : 70 C

Immediately I called nvapeek command:

$ nvapeek 0x15b0
000015b0: 1000008e

So value reported by nouveau is lower than value reported by
nvidia binary driver.
As you didn't run nvapeek 15b0 when running nouveau it is hard to tell if it is due to
calibration values or because the temperature was lower.

Could you please read the temperature + peek 15b0 when running nouveau?

Anyway, it is weird because I cannot find 70ÂC with 0x8e as an input temperature and with
the current default values :o
I wait some some and started nvidia-smi and nvapeek again, here
are results:

$ nvidia-smi -q -d TEMPERATURE
GPU 0000:05:00.0
Temperature
Gpu : 67 C

$ nvapeek 0x15b0
000015b0: 1000008e

So it looks like that nvapeek returning always same value and
does not depends on temperature... It is OK?
Well, it looks like the temperature reading is very noisy!
Could you please get the temperature + peek when the card is as hot as possible?

There is a very effective solution to get a GPU hot, use a hair drier. If you could get your
GPU to at 110ÂC (or less, if you feel like it is too much), that could help me check the formula
and default values.

PS: I attached a new version of the patch that should improve the temperature accuracy for
nv43s. Could you test it and send me your kernel log?