Re: UEFI Plugfest 2013 -- New Orleans

From: Borislav Petkov
Date: Mon Aug 19 2013 - 11:17:29 EST

On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 09:25:35AM +0100, David Woodhouse wrote:
> Hm. It would be really useful to have a kernel build option which
> *disables* all the workarounds we've ever put in for broken firmware.

Yeah, cool!

I wonder if we could reach a high double-digit percentage of machines
not booting/barfing on such a clean kernel.

While at it, can we please replace the fw with coreboot? :-)

> Every deviation from the spec (or common sense), however minor, should
> show up as a clear failure. Even the ones we *have* been able to work
> around, because we still want them *fixed*.
>
> And there's a school of thought that says we should brick as many
> Samsung machines as possible,

Yep, and there's the rooted secure boot asus f*ckup which we should also
advertize while booting, enabling people to use it:

https://www.blackhat.com/us-13/archives.html#Bulygin

/me LOLs ominously...

--
Regards/Gruss,
Boris.

Sent from a fat crate under my desk. Formatting is fine.