Re: PATCH? fix unshare(NEWPID) && vfork()

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Mon Aug 19 2013 - 13:46:40 EST

On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 10:25 AM, Oleg Nesterov <oleg@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Colin reports that vfork() doesn't work after unshare(PIDNS). The
> reason is trivial, copy_process() does:
>
> /*
> * If the new process will be in a different pid namespace
> * don't allow the creation of threads.
> */
> if ((clone_flags & (CLONE_VM|CLONE_NEWPID)) &&
> (task_active_pid_ns(current) != current->nsproxy->pid_ns))
> return ERR_PTR(-EINVAL);
>
> and CLONE_VM obviously nacks vfork(). So perhaps we can relax
> this check to CLONE_THREAD? Or should we really nack CLONE_VM
> by security reasons?
>
> OTOH. Perhaps we should also deny CLONE_PARENT in this case?

I agree that we should probably deny CLONE_PARENT, which makes more
sense paired with CLONE_NEWPID. I think we should also disallow
CLONE_THREAD, which is the thread goup.

And I *think* we can drop CLONE_VM. I suspect that snuck in as a
(misguided) attempt at CLONE_THREAD, as implied by the comment.

In fact, if you go look at the history of that CLONE_VM test, it came from

unshare(CLONE_NEWPID)
clone(CLONE_THREAD|CLONE_SIGHAND|CLONE_VM)

and the commit message talks about not setting pid_ns->child_reaper.
Which is very much about the PID, not about the shared VM space.

So I think your patch is correct, although I'm not sure why you move
the test. The new test you have look complicated as hell, so I think
you're actually making things worse by making them unreadable.

Linus