Re: UEFI Plugfest 2013 -- New Orleans

From: David Woodhouse
Date: Mon Aug 19 2013 - 17:07:06 EST

On Mon, 2013-08-19 at 21:39 +0100, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> The plugfests have, from our perspective, always been useful in
> identifying new implementation interpretations before hardware ships.
> But even then, it's usually too late to modify the firmware. Vendors who
> care about Linux compatibility have already tested Linux before we turn
> up.

You effectively seem to be suggesting that nothing will ever get better
on the UEFI side, and the only benefit of the plugfest is that we get to
see the latest brokenness and try to come up with a workaround for it
before the consumers are afflicted with it?

That's a really pessimistic view, and I'd really like us to be a little
more optimistic. Things can't be, or at least can't *stay*, that bad.
Surely?

--
dwmw2