Re: rfc: trivial patches and slow deaths?

From: Jiri Kosina
Date: Mon Aug 19 2013 - 17:22:11 EST

On Mon, 19 Aug 2013, Joe Perches wrote:

> This is a 7 line patch that corrects logging defects that has had no
> reply from you for the last month.
>
> https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/2833648/

This hasn't missed any Linus' major release, as it has been submitted post
3.11 merge, right? (hint, that was Jul 4th).

If this would miss *next* major Linus' release, I would accept your
complaints. But this is definitely not the case.

Joe, patience is a virtue. Especially when it comes to lower-priority
stuff.

> I think that's overly long a time frame (any patch series will bitrot)
> and too opaque for trivial patch submitters to have any idea what's
> going on.

Again, only large, corss-subsystem series with a lot of maintainers CCed
are generally delayed.

> Also, if you're concerned that the trivial tree wouldn't merge well in
> next,

That's not my concern. My concern is

- avoid work duplication
- avoid git history pollution (again, especially by trivial stuff)
- avoid unecessary stepping on maintainer's toes by something that has
such a low importance as trivial.git

Thanks for taking care,

--
Jiri Kosina