Re: linux-next: build warning after merge of the tip tree

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Tue Aug 20 2013 - 02:42:17 EST

* Andi Kleen <andi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > Introduced by commit 9a55fdbe941e ("x86, asmlinkage, paravirt: Add
> > > __visible/asmlinkage to xen paravirt ops"). The 2 definitions used to be
> > > identical ... maybe there should be only one.
> >
> > Andi, please send a fix for this build warning, against
> > tip:x86/asmlinkage.
>
> I resent the patch. Thanks for the headsup.

I suspect hpa missed it because the patch was opaque and
non-descriptive: the title talks about a 'warning' that is
supposedly fixed but the changelog does not explain what
warning it is and why the change matters.

Please use the customary changelog style we use in the
kernel:

" Current code does (A), this has a problem when (B).
We can improve this doing (C), because (D)."

I've seen this pattern of deficient changelogs a dozen
times in your patches this year alone ...

Thanks,

Ingo