Re: Linux 3.0.92

From: Greg KH
Date: Tue Aug 20 2013 - 12:43:49 EST

On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 09:33:30AM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 8:57 AM, Greg KH <gregkh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Johannes Berg (1):
> > genetlink: fix family dump race
>
> This one turns out to be buggy, see thread called "3.11-rc6 genetlink
> locking fix offends lockdep".

Yeah, I messed up in keeping it here, I'll go revert it and push out a
new 3.0 release.

> I really think there should be delay before stable picks up stuff from
> mainline, unless it's something particularly critical and
> well-discussed.. Maybe a week or so.

I can do that, it's just hard to tell from my end what is "well
discussed" all the time.

> Now it's both in 3.0 and 3.10, so the revert (unless we find a better
> fix - and the first two patches have already failed) will have to go
> there too.

I thought that there was a fix already for this... Ah, no, that was for
another reported regression in an older 3.10-stable release, my bad.

Johannes, what do you want to do here? Just revert it in Linus's tree
for now, given the late -rc cycle?

thanks,

greg k-h