Re: System suspend states and device driver suspend() callback

From: Li Yang
Date: Mon Aug 26 2013 - 04:51:01 EST

On Sat, Aug 17, 2013 at 7:53 AM, Rafael J. Wysocki <rjw@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Friday, August 16, 2013 05:13:42 PM Li Yang-R58472 wrote:
>>
>> å 2013-8-16ïäå7:22ï"Rafael J. Wysocki" <rjw@xxxxxxx> åéï

>> > No, there's none.
>> >
>> > What do you need that for?
>>
>> Some chips like ours are putting the on-chip devices into different low
>> power states when entering different system low power states. When we enter
>> system standby, on-chip devices are clock gated. While entering suspend to
>> ram, on-chip devices are power gated. We want to driver to act differently
>> too when entering different suspend states.
>
> Can you possibly use platform suspend operations to implement that (in analogy
> with ACPI suspend operations)?

I agree it's best to get the state that the device will be in during
suspend from the platform code. Will it be better to have a standard
interface to pass this information? Given the fact that a single
device can be used by different platforms even different architecture
nowadays. How about exposing some new callbacks from the
platform_suspend_ops for the driver to use?

Regards,
Leo