Re: unused swap offset / bad page map.

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Mon Aug 26 2013 - 16:46:13 EST

On Mon, Aug 26, 2013 at 1:15 PM, Linus Torvalds
<torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> So I'm almost likely to think that we are more likely to have
> something wrong in the messy magical special cases.

Of course, the good news would be if it actually ends up being the
soft-dirty stuff, and bisection hits something recent.

So maybe I'm overly pessimistic. That messy swap_map[] code really
_is_ messy, but at the same time it should also be pretty well-tested.
I don't think it's been touched in years.

That said, google does find "swap_free: Unused swap offset entry"
reports from over the years. Most of them seem to be single-bit
errors, though (ie when the entry is 00000100 or similar I'm more
inclined to blame a bit error - in contrast your values look like
"real" swap entries).

Linus