Re: 3.11-final plan: unpriviledged user can crash the kernel(using bluetooth rfcomm)

From: Pavel Machek
Date: Sun Sep 01 2013 - 18:12:39 EST

Hi!

> > So... In 3.11 unpriviledged user can crash the kernel, but the fix is
> > too big, so we release it without the fix?
> >
> > Somehow, I don't think that's good idea.
>
> can you boot a bluetooth-next kernel and see if the planned changes are fixing this or not. I would like to have that confirmed before we start any speculations here.
>
> If the RFCOMM TTY rework that we have in bluetooth-next fixes this issue, then we can have a look at if this can be patched for 3.11 or a stable kernel without having to include the whole patch series. Or if the TTY subsystem changed from 2.6.32 so much that we have to take the whole changes.
>
> However, please also note there is a different between RFCOMM sockets and RFCOMM TTYs. I would be curious if only the TTY part is affected or also the socket part.

Well, you are in as good position to repeat it as I am. Sources are in
the CVS referenced above (and they are trivial). The version that
reproduces the problem is marked as such in changelog. I already
modified my system to work (not triggering oopsen)...

Yes, I can probably setup linux-next. It will take some time.
Pavel