Re: RESEND: Generating interrupts from a USB device driver?

From: Daniel Santos
Date: Tue Sep 03 2013 - 15:11:10 EST

On 09/03/2013 12:59 PM, Greg KH wrote:
Hm, I thought we used to have some of them, I guess people have been
saying they would write a driver for this type of hardware for a long
time now :(

Well, on the bright side, we have one now, albeit in a "this is my first driver that nobody has reviewed yet" state. :) It works (even on RPi -- well, mostly). As-is, it has a fair TODO & fix list, which I'm sure will grow rapidly with some review. I hope that as I learn the kernel better, I can generalize parts of this into some re-usable lib for other USB-to-SPI/I2C/GPIO drivers.

https://github.com/daniel-santos/mcp2210-linux/

Anyway, look at the spi core, I think you want to tie into the
spi_new_device() call in your usb driver, and start sending/receiving
data through the SPI interfaces the spi core provides.

I'm actually using the alternative to that call, which is the spi_alloc_device() / spi_add_device() pair as I'm not using struct spi_board_info at all since it doesn't (currently) have even half of the fields I need for each device. However, struct spi_device does have the two void * fields controller_data and controller_state -- I suppose I can use those to pass a pointer to a add_notify() type of function. I was just trying to seek a more generic, re-usable mechanism, but this should at least work for now.

The Linux SPI mailing list should be able to help you out a lot more
here than I can.

greg k-h

Thanks again for your help!