dirty_expire_centisecs, msync behavior

From: Howard Chu
Date: Sat Sep 07 2013 - 20:17:57 EST

The documentation for dirty_expire_centisecs states: "Data which has been dirty in-memory for longer than this interval will be written out next time a flusher thread wakes up."

In practice, it appears that once the expire time has passed, all dirty pages get flushed, regardless of their age. This behavior makes this setting fairly useless. This appears to have been the behavior for most of 2.6 and 3.x. Can anyone explain, is the current behavior really as intended, and is the doc just out of date?

On a slightly related note, what was the key problem with this patch "msync: support syncing a small part of the file"? http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel/1313767/focus=1317498

Andrew Morton's message states that Paolo's patch would break nonlinear mappings, and the matter was dropped. Why wasn't it possible to write a patch that would also work with nonlinear mappings? I couldn't find any earlier context for that subject, pointers welcome.

My interest in both of these questions stems from what I've observed while testing the LMDB memory-mapped database. On a machine with 32GB RAM, using a database that occupies about 18GB of memory, doing continuous writes to the DB without ever calling msync, and default writeback settings, I see DB throughput spike downward every time the flusher wakes up. The DB is a mmap'd file on an XFS partition, and a DB write operation simply dirties a random set of pages. After the program has been running for more than dirty_expire_centisecs, every dirty_writeback_centisecs the DB app basically stops while the flusher writes out all the dirty pages.

I'm curious about a couple things - since the DB knows which pages it is dirtying in a given transaction, would it help overall throughput if the DB told the OS (via msync) exactly which ranges to flush? Obviously not, in the current implementation of msync, but can a patch like Paolo's make this better? And can the dirty_expire_centisecs behavior be fixed, so that it's only writing out a smaller set of pages on each wakeup? What else can we do to minimize the impact of the flusher? If I turn it off completely the throughput nearly doubles, from 5100 DB writes/sec to 9000/sec. If I turn off the timed flush and just use dirty_background_bytes the throughput just slows to around 7000/sec.

It seems to me the main slowdown is because the OS is locking dirty pages indiscriminately. The DB does copy-on-write, so pages that it dirties in one transaction will not be written again in the next transaction. I would have expected read-only accesses to these pages to be able to progress without any delay but that doesn't seem to be the case.

--
-- Howard Chu
CTO, Symas Corp. http://www.symas.com