Re: linux-next: manual merge of the akpm tree with Linus' tree

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Tue Sep 10 2013 - 18:35:13 EST

On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 3:27 PM, Andrew Morton
<akpm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> This is rather a fiasco. "vfs: reorganize dput() memory accesses" made
> rather a mess of a 46 patch series which has been under development and
> test for two cycles so far.

Andrew, *please* don't do the insane rebasing you keep on doing.

Nobody else does that, and it adds more work for you, and makes your
patch bombs be untimely.

And I'll be honest, I don't care about the "more work for you" part,
since I don't really see it, but I do care about the "untimely" part.
That's the one that affects me. For example, I'm traveling starting
Friday, so I'll close the merge window on the road (linuxCon US next
week, a weekend of diving before that). It would be much nicer if I
have almost nothing pending before I leave.

And quite frankly, there is absolutely nothing that touches
fs/dcache.c that should be in your tree anyway, as far as I can tell.

But seriously - don't do the constant rebasing. I tell the git people
that, because I hate how it actually dilutes the value of any testing
they did. The fact that you rebase to the day you send the patches is
actually taking *away* value from what you do, and it adds a lot of
work for you.

So I'd (once again) suggest you base your pile of patches on the
previous stable kernel, and that linux-next take it *first* rather
than take it last.

Linus