Re: [Patch v5 0/9] liblockdep: userspace lockdep

From: Sasha Levin
Date: Thu Sep 12 2013 - 13:41:31 EST

On 07/08/2013 04:39 AM, Ingo Molnar wrote:

* Sasha Levin <sasha.levin@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

The other issue is that with lock classes disabled you have to hit an
actual deadlock to trigger any output.

I.e. much of the power of lockdep is diminished :-/ When actual
deadlocks are triggered then it's not particularly complex to debug
user-space apps: gdb the hung task(s) and look at the backtraces.

Lock classes are disabled only if you're using the LD_PRELOAD method
of testing. If you actually re-compile your code with the library (by
just including the header and setting a #define to enable it) you will
have lock classes.

Hi Ingo,

Just wondering if you're planning on pushing it over to Linus from your
tree, or should I go ahead and do it on my own?

PeterZ is in favor as well so I'll apply them after the merge window, for
v3.12.

Hi Ingo,

Do you intend to send liblockdep in this merge window as planned?

Thanks,
Sasha