Re: PCF857x and 16-bit GPIO expanders

From: Nishanth Menon
Date: Thu Sep 19 2013 - 08:08:10 EST

On 09/19/2013 03:13 AM, George Cherian wrote:
> On 9/18/2013 11:06 PM, Felipe Balbi wrote:
>> Hi,

>>> I've got a board with a PCF8575 chip, but it uses I/Os 8 to 14 only as far as
>>> I know.
>>>
>>> I can try toggling I/O 15, but that will need to wait until next week as I'm
>>> currently travelling without access to the hardware.
>> alright, that'd help me a lot :-) Just want to make sure if we're having
>> a board issue, or PCF8575 is a bit screwy ;-)
> Is it on dra7x-evm if so which pcf device (i2c address)?
> The pins i were interested were only 1 and 2 I never tried pin 15.
>
> Just tried toggling through sysfs and it works for me.
When I look at the data sheet for PCF8575[1] Page 7, Figure 4 Write
mode (output)
I see the data writes are of the order:
I2c 1's byte: address
I2c 2'nd byte:P[7-0]
I2c 3rd byte:P[17-10]
Note: bits 8,9 are missing not supported.

Now [2] claims that it does support PCF8575, however when I look at
line 143[3]
unsigned bit = 1 << offset;
[snip]
if (value)
gpio->out |= bit;
else
gpio->out &= ~bit;

There is no handling for the skip needed for bits 8 and 9.. Seems to
me like a driver bug.

[1] http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/pcf8575.pdf
[2]
http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/drivers/gpio/gpio-pcf857x.c