Re: [RFC GIT PULL] softirq: Consolidation and stack overrun fix

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Sun Sep 22 2013 - 18:22:57 EST

On Sun, Sep 22, 2013 at 2:56 PM, Benjamin Herrenschmidt
<benh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, 2013-09-22 at 18:24 +0200, Peter Zijlstra wrote:
>>
>> We use a segment offset. Something like:
>>
>> inc %gs:var;
>>

> And gcc makes no stupid assumptions that this gs doesn't change ? That's
> the main problem we have with using r13 for PACA.

Since gcc doesn't really know about segment registers at all (modulo
%fs as TLS on x86), we do everything like that using inline asm.

It's not *too* painful if you have a number of macro helpers to build
up all the different versions.

And r13 isn't volatile if you are preempt-safe, so I'm wondering if
you could just make the preempt disable code mark %r13 as modified
("+r"). Then gcc won't ever cache r13 across one of those. And if you
don't have preemption disabled, then you cannot do multiple ops using
%r13 anyway, since on a load-store architecture it might change even
between the load and store, so a per-cpu "add" operation *has* to
cache the %r13 value in *another* register anyway, because using
memory ops with just an offset off %r13 would be buggy.

So I don't think this is a gcc issue. gcc can't fix those kinds of problems.

Personally, I'd suggest something like:

- the paca stuff is just insane. Try to get rid of it.

- use %r13 for the per-thread thread-info pointer instead. A
per-thread pointer is *not* volatile like the per-cpu base is.

- Now you can make the per-cpu offset be loaded off the per-thread
pointer (update it at context switch). gcc knows to not cache it
across function calls, since it's a memory access. Use ACCESS_ONCE()
or something to make sure it's only loaded once for the cpu offset
ops.

Alternatively, make %r13 point to the percpu side, but make sure that
you always use an asm accessor to fetch the value. In particular, I
think you need to make __my_cpu_offset be an inline asm that fetches
%r13 into some other register. Otherwise you can never get it right.

Linus