Re: [tip:x86/urgent] x86/smpboot: Fix announce_cpu() to printk() thelast "OK" properly

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Fri Sep 27 2013 - 09:33:13 EST

* Borislav Petkov <bp@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 08:51:15AM +0200, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> > That message was cool and interesting back in the days when we wrote
> > lockdep ('hey, look ma, it really works!!'), but there hasn't been
> > any breakage in that area for a long time and it definitely does not
> > deserve one line of log spam per CPU! Especially if it messes up such
> > a nice CPU bootup table.
>
> Right. The comment in alternatives_enable_smp() talks about older
> binutils and could be a useful info if we encounter the issue again. Should I
> keep it or are we talking really old, i.e.
>
> obsolete-we-will-never-use-them-anywhere-and-if-someone-does-we-dont-care
>
> binutils?

See this commit from ~5 years ago:

17abecfe651c x86: fix up alternatives with lockdep enabled

I was thinking about removing the message back then. Nobody ever
complained: code patching is so fundamental to a properly functioning
Linux kernel that broken binutils would stick out like a sore thumb - and
not just related to lockdep.

So lets remove it.

Thanks,

Ingo