Re: kobject_add_internal failed for msi_irqs with -EEXIST

From: Veaceslav Falico
Date: Fri Sep 27 2013 - 12:03:31 EST

On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 09:58:28AM -0600, Bjorn Helgaas wrote:
[+cc Veaceslav, linux-pci]

On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 7:34 AM, Zdenek Kabelac <zkabelac@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi

With recent build of 3.12-rc2 I'm getting this warning report from kernel:
(hw Lenovo T61, C2D, 4GB Ram)
(repost since linux-kernel@ rejected my gmail email....)

This looks related to the MSI/kobject issues Veaceslav is working on.
See http://lkml.kernel.org/r/1379382464-7920-2-git-send-email-vfalico@xxxxxxxxxx
and related messages.

We don't have a resolution yet. If you have
CONFIG_DEBUG_KOBJECT_RELEASE=y, you could try turning that off. I
don't know if it would help, and it would only be a temporary
workaround anyway.

I've looked at the original post -
http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/msg510798.html
hope that's it - and it seems that it's disabling DEBUG_KOBJECT_RELEASE
won't help - the warning is about the re-registering, not about freeing it.

As a workaround I'd suggest adding some kind of delay between removing and
adding the msi - as in - rmmod e1000e; sleep 1; modprobe e1000e; - or
something like that, so that there is enough time for the /msqi_irqs/ to go
away.

Bjorn