Re: [RFC] extending splice for copy offloading

From: Bernd Schubert
Date: Mon Sep 30 2013 - 13:49:08 EST

On 09/30/2013 07:44 PM, Myklebust, Trond wrote:
On Mon, 2013-09-30 at 19:17 +0200, Bernd Schubert wrote:
It would be nice if there would be way if the file system would get a
hint that the target file is supposed to be copy of another file. That
way distributed file systems could also create the target-file with the
correct meta-information (same storage targets as in-file has).
Well, if we cannot agree on that, file system with a custom protocol at
least can detect from 0 to SSIZE_MAX and then reset metadata. I'm not
sure if this would work for pNFS, though.

splice() does not create new files. What you appear to be asking for
lies way outside the scope of that system call interface.

Sorry I know, definitely outside the scope of splice, but in the context of offloaded file copies. So the question is, what is the best way to address/discuss that?

Thanks,
Bernd