Re: RFC: (re-)binding the VFIO platform driver to a platform device

From: Alex Williamson
Date: Tue Oct 01 2013 - 22:36:13 EST

On Wed, 2013-10-02 at 02:53 +0100, Christoffer Dall wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 01, 2013 at 05:02:44PM -0500, Kim Phillips wrote:
> > On Tue, 1 Oct 2013 13:00:54 -0700
> > Greg Kroah-Hartman <gregkh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > You are correct.
> > >
> > > What is wrong with just doing the above unbind/bind things through
> > > sysfs, that is what it is there for, right?
> >
> > The bind fails because the compatible string in the device tree doesn't
> > match that of the VFIO platform driver, so driver_match_device always
> > returns false.
> >
> It sounds like this is not going to be pretty almost no matter what
> we'll end up doing: Inherently VFIO is going to bind to a device without
> the device tree entry for that device ever saying anything about VFIO.
>
> How is this solved for PCI? Can we use some analogy from that work to
> construct the missing piece?

PCI supports a dynamic ID table for driver/device matching, see
pci_add_dynid(). The problem is that this gets a little sloppy for the
period where you have multiple drivers that can claim the same device,
especially in the presence of hotplug. Thus the desire to improve the
situation with some kind of direct binding interface. Thanks,

Alex