CONFIG_TRANSPARENT_HUGEPAGE with PREEMPT_RT_FULL

From: Ciprian Barbu
Date: Wed Oct 02 2013 - 06:59:21 EST

Hello Thomas,

(resending due to HTML formatting)

I am looking into using CONFIG_TRANSPARENT_HUGEPAGE with PREEMPT_RT_FULL but currently the latest rt patch has it disabled.

What I managed to find on the mailing list so far is that Yong Zhang reported a crash on rt_spin_lock for which you suggested to disable CONFIG_TRANSPARENT_HUGEPAGE until further notice. That was on Jul 24, 2011 so I was wondering if you have any more news on that. Is there any hope to get transparent hugepages working with preempt_rt? Any estimate on how difficult a fix for that will be?

Also, we ran some basic ltp mm and ltp hugetlb on an rt image with transparent hugepages, on an ARM arndale, and didn't get any problems. Do you think it's possible that the problem got fixed somewhere along the way?

Thanks and regards,
Ciprian