Re: applesmc oops in 3.10/3.11

From: Guenter Roeck
Date: Wed Oct 02 2013 - 09:30:22 EST

On 10/02/2013 02:53 AM, Henrik Rydberg wrote:
Patch added on top of 3.12.0-0.rc3.git0.1.fc20.x86_64 and built. But after ~dozen reboots, I'm not triggering the problem. The only items in dmesg with smc in it:

[ 13.799819] applesmc: key=261 fan=2 temp=14 index=14 acc=1 lux=2 kbd=1
[ 13.833402] input: applesmc as /devices/platform/applesmc.768/input/input10

One thing I have seen in all logs is the earlier "send_byte fail" message, so
I think that is a pre-requisite.

Not necessarily - it could be that the patch actually fixes the root
cause. One possible scenario is that on recent SMCs, some of the
commands produce more data than we actually read. This would
eventually lead to both data corruption and overflow somwhere in the
SMC internals. If the original SMC error is interpreted as a read
buffer overflow, then that problem should be fixed with this patch.

Good point.

But shouldn't we at least get the "flushed %d bytes" warning message in this case ?

Thanks,
Guenter