Re: [Suggestion] about calling debug_hotplug_cpu() which enabledby 'allmodconfig' for a x86_64 dual core laptop.

From: Chen Gang
Date: Wed Oct 02 2013 - 20:50:37 EST

On 10/03/2013 03:33 AM, Toshi Kani wrote:
> On Thu, 2013-10-03 at 00:41 +0800, Chen Gang F T wrote:

>>> allmodconfig sets CONFIG_DEBUG_HOTPLUG_CPU0 to y (which is defined as
>>> "def_bool n"), which puts CPU0 offline during boot for testing. This
>>> debug feature is causing the problem on your laptop. I am not familiar
>>> with allmodconfig, but it seems that it enables all the config options,
>>> preferably with 'm'.
>>>

>> Hmm... excuse me, I don't know: for laptop, if cpu0 is offline, whether
>> it still can work or not. If any members know about it, please tell me,
>> thanks.
>
> CPU online/offline works on laptops as long as they have more than one
> CPU. You can boot with other kernel and test this feature
> with /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpuX/online on your laptop. cpu0 is a
> special case and you may need to specify "cpu0_hotplug" boot option.

Thank you for your confirmation, "for dual core (although laptop), after
system boot up, can let cpu0 offline". :-)

>> In my opinion, if enable DEBUG_HOTPLUG_CPU0, but "should not let cpu0
>> offline for laptop", we need let 'offline' operation fail.
>
> Whether it is a laptop or not should not be a matter here. But I agree
> with you that enabling CONFIG_DEBUG_HOTPLUG_CPU0 is not useful (and can
> be harmful) unless a user really intends to test this feature.

Hmm... I will continue analyzing. After finish analyzing (let kernel
boot up OK), I should give a confirmation: "during boot up, can we still
let cpu0 offline for dual core?".

In fact, 'allmodconfig' is just a mad user which often does useless
things to intend to find issues.

Thanks.

--
Chen Gang