Re: [BUG 3.12.rc4] Oops: unable to handle kernel paging requestduring shutdown

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Mon Oct 14 2013 - 13:53:09 EST

Hmm. No obvious ideas come to mind, but I'm adding more people to the cc.

Clearly the wait_event_interruptible_timeout() in the RCU grace-period
thread causes this, but I'm not seeing why shutdown would trigger it.

The code disassembles to

0: 85 db test %ebx,%ebx
2: 79 0c jns 0x10
4: 81 e6 ff 00 00 00 and $0xff,%esi
a: 8d 44 f0 30 lea 0x30(%eax,%esi,8),%eax
e: eb 0a jmp 0x1a
10: c1 e9 1a shr $0x1a,%ecx
13: 8d 84 c8 30 0e 00 00 lea 0xe30(%eax,%ecx,8),%eax
1a: 8b 48 04 mov 0x4(%eax),%ecx
1d: 89 50 04 mov %edx,0x4(%eax)
20: 89 02 mov %eax,(%edx)
22: 89 4a 04 mov %ecx,0x4(%edx)
25:* 89 11 mov %edx,(%ecx) <-- trapping instruction
27: 5b pop %ebx
28: 5e pop %esi
29: 5d pop %ebp
2a: c3 ret

so the oops is in the final

list_add_tail(&timer->entry, vec);

where "%ecx" is "vec->prev" (f8c551f4). That looks like it might be a
perfectly valid pointer, but clearly it isn't (it's about 115M off the
top of virtual memory, I think that might be in the vmalloc area).

So I'm *guessing* that something did a vfree() on some data structure
that contained active timers - and then later on the RCU thread ended
up being the next thing that tried to add a timer after the
now-non-existing one.

And your other oopses do seem to have a similar pattern, even if their
actual oops is elsewhere. They oops in run_timer_softirq, also taking
a page fault in the 0xf9...... range, so it might well be a vmalloc
address there too.

But I sure as hell can't start to guess what that would be.

I'm wondering it CONFIG_DEBUG_OBJECTS (and then
CONFIG_DEBUG_OBJECTS_FREE=y and CONFIG_DEBUG_OBJECTS_TIMERS=y) might
help catch this...

Linus